The Lawrence R. Barnett Research Council
Lawrence R. Barnett, founding chairman of The ALS Association, passed away on June 11, 2012. Barnett, who became affectionately known as the “grandfather” of The ALS Association, was unparalleled in his devotion to finding a cure for ALS. In tribute to Barnett’s tireless support of The ALS Association and its work to find a cure for ALS, the National Board of Trustees renamed the Research Council in his honor in 2010.
Help Lead the Way to a Cure for ALS
Our global research effort, TREAT ALS (Translational Research Advancing Therapy for ALS), is an international program that funds research in all phases—laboratory science, drug development, clinical trials--critical to understanding ALS and finding a cure. Partnering with academia and industry, TREAT’s support for ALS research is collaborative and comprehensive. Priorities include:
- building animal models of ALS;
- discovery of the genetic causes of the disease;
- identification of biomarkers;
- development of treatments using stem cell science;
- advancing clinical trials to determine the safety and effectiveness of potential therapies;
- attracting young researchers and experienced scientists to the field through fellowships, grants and other support.
Resources are needed to ensure that the promising pace of discovery continues. When you become a member of The Lawrence R. Barnett Research Council with a gift of $1,000 or more, you help deliver hope to people living with ALS.
Benefits to Membership:
- As a Lawrence R. Barnett Research Council member we invite you to join our monthly research webinars hosted by Chief Scientist, Dr. Lucie Bruijn. A renowned ALS researcher is featured each month to present breakthroughs and updates in research. Following the presentation, questions are welcomed and encouraged from all participants. Information about previous and future webinars is available at http://www.alsa.org/research/research-webinars.html.
- As a member of the Research Council, you will also receive The Association’s publications Research ALS Today and Vision, which provide the most current news and critical developments in ALS research, as well as important Association news. We will also send out periodic, real time Research Updates and press releases of research breakthroughs as they are released.
- As a member of the Research Council, you will be listed in The Association’s Annual Report
- As a member of the Research Council, you will have direct access to an Association staff liaison.
Research Council Membership Levels
Visionary Level - $20,000 and above
Innovator Level - $10,000 to $19,999
Leader Level - $5,000 to $9,999
Partner Level - $1,000 to $4,999